Changes to Orders (Modifications)

Unique to family law is that our clients and their families continue to change. Children grow, families move, parents lose jobs or get promotions, children go to college. What may have worked before may no longer work. Child support may need to be reviewed or a parenting time schedule might need to be adjusted. You may need to reduce or terminate alimony.

In family law when your family’s circumstances change, you can ask the Court to change the previous court order that no longer reflects your circumstances. We call this an application, motion or request for modification. Seeking modifications to former agreements or orders is common and expected as families change. It is important to seek such modification when the changes occur, as you may be limited to what you can get retroactively. Additionally, if you feel that you cannot comply with a previous court order or agreement, you should seek a modification as that agreement/order can be enforced against you until it is changed.