Call Us For A Free Consultation On Your Family Law Case

Can You Change Your New Jersey Divorce Agreement Years Down the Road?

On Behalf of | Aug 28, 2023 | DIVORCE - Divorce

Many people wonder if they can make changes to their divorce agreements after finalizing them. Life often brings unexpected challenges, and circumstances change.

If you find yourself in this situation, you can modify your New Jersey divorce agreement years later under certain conditions.

Reasons for Change

Various reasons might prompt you to amend your divorce agreement. Maybe your financial situation has taken a turn or the needs of your children have evolved. These are just some of the instances where you might want a revision.

Agreement terms that may need adjustment

When your circumstances change, these are some of the areas of your divorce agreement that the courts may adjust:

  • Child support. If the income of the parent with child custody drops or rises dramatically, you could adjust the child support amount.
  • Child custody. If a significant event affects the child’s life, such as a health issue or a schooling need, you can alter the custody arrangement to ensure the child’s well-being.
  • Alimony or spousal support. If the party receiving support gets a substantial income boost or inherits a significant amount, the paying party might seek a decrease in the alimony amount. If the paying party faces a job loss or substantial medical bills, they can request a reduction or a pause in payments.

In New Jersey, you can adjust these terms if you demonstrate a substantial change in circumstances since the last order.

Limitations to Changes

New Jersey courts will not consider trivial or minor requests for changes. You must present a clear and significant change in circumstances. Moreover, if both parties agreed to a non-modifiable clause in their original agreement, they might not be able to adjust certain terms.

Life events can make your original divorce agreement seem outdated. If you believe your current situation does not align with your agreement, you have options.